Frequently Asked Questions
ARE YOU REALLY A UNIVERSITY?
We are not a university; but we offer a superb WordPress class and other services for non-technical individuals and small business owners who are looking for a low-cost alternative to getting a website and/or blog.
WHAT IS WORDPRESS?
WordPress is a FREE open source content management system, and publishing application that is used to build websites and blogs.
WHY SHOULD I USE WORDPRESS?
1. It is FREE. WordPress is a FREE Open Source software; which means you can use it on a personal or commercial website without paying a fee.
2. It is VERY user friendly.
3. Lots of free themes, plugins and supports.
4. WordPress follows all the Web Standards and keeps your blog or website compliant to all the rules that have to be followed when running a website.
5. SEO Friendly. WordPress, straight out of the box, comes ready to embrace search engines. Its features and functions guide a search engine through the posts, pages, and categories to help the search engine crawl your site and gather the information it needs to include your site within its database.
6. Large community Support. WordPress is reportedly used on more than 1% of the websites on the Internet in the world. There is a large user community backing the development of this software, including forums and communities for all questions.
7. The best companies, organizations, and individuals use WordPress. WordPress users include NY Post, Vogue, Perez Hilton, Nancy Pelosi, Rosie O’Donnell, Stephen Colbert, Stanford, MIT, Xerox, The US Post Office, Ford Motors,and the list goes on and on.
WHY SHOULD I TAKE THE WORDPRESS CLASS?
This class will provide small business owners and individuals with a low-cost alternative to hiring a web developer, to build a quality website with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability.
After taking the class, you will have your website up and running in a few hours.
WHICH VERSION OF WORDPRESS IS COVERED IN THE CLASS?
The classes cover only self-hosted WordPress sites (wordpress.org) and not the free WordPress hosted site (wordpress.com)
WHAT IF I ALREADY HAVE A FREE HOSTED SITE AND WANT TO MOVE TO A SELF-HOSTED SITE?
During the “Building a WordPress blog and/or website” class, we will show you how and help you to move the content (up to 2mb) including pages, blog posting, with images, attachments and comments from a free WordPress hosted site (wordpress.com) to a self-hosted WordPress site (wordpress.org).
IS THIS A VERY TECHNICAL CLASS?
First off, you do not need a website “techie” background. The class is taught using everyday language, although you will learn some new and important terms (nothing crazy) that will help you improve the look and functionality of your website and/or blog.
HOW LONG IS THE CLASS?
The average class is about 2 – 3 hours long.
WHAT IS THE SIZE OF THE CLASS?
Average class size is 5 attendees. Most of the classes sell out in advance so it is strongly advised that you pre-register by paying in advance.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING WITH ME TO THE CLASS?
Your laptop (with WiFi capability) + electrical cord.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO ATTEND THE CLASS?
The cost of the classes vary between $75.00 – $100.00 in New York City, and should be prepaid in advance.
WHAT OTHER COST ARE INVOLVED?
You are responsible for the purchase of the (1) domain and (2) hosting. Domain if purchased separately is $10 to $15; and good, quality hosting usually runs about $5 to $10 a month. Total of about $100 per year.
WHEN SHOULD I PURCHASE THE DOMAIN AND HOSTING?
You could purchase the domain and hosting in advance.
Please arrive at least 30 minutes earlier, if you need assistance and we would be more than happy to help you complete this step on the day of the class.
WHAT IS A DOMAIN?
A domain name is basically the name / address of your website, www.yourwebsite.com. It is how people find you on the internet.
WHAT IS PRIVACY OPTION ON DOMAINS?
When you purchase a domain, your contact information including name, address, telephone number and email address is published in the public online directory of domain owners, kind of like an online telephone directory. Everyone has access to this information, to keep this information private, select the privacy option.
See it here. WHOIS Directory
WHAT IS HOSTING?
Hosting is like the harddrive for your website – the service stores the website content and makes it accessible to the internet.
HOW DO I SIGN-UP AND PAY?
Upcoming classes. We accept Visa, MC, Amex and Paypal.
CANCELLATION | REFUNDS
All cancellation notices must be made by visiting the Contact page.
Any cancellation up to 5 business days before date of the class may receive a full refund or credit to an upcoming class within the next 90 days.
Any cancellation less than 5 business days before the date of a class may be applied to an upcoming class within the next 90 days.
If you purchased through a third-party, our Refund & Cancellation policy still applies to your purchase. If you are entitled to a refund, or have any questions, please contact the site of purchase
Location, date and time of the classes are subject to change. Only individuals who have pre-registered may receive notice of any changes.